How to interview [memo]
June 12, 2019
Just met this nice article by Laurie Voss called
You suck at technical interviews.
Here is TL;DR from there:
- many interview techniques test skills that are at best irrelevant to real working life
- you want somebody who knows enough to do the job right now
- or somebody smart and motivated enough that they can learn the job quickly
- you want somebody who keeps getting better at what they do
- your interview should be a collaborative conversation, not a combative interrogation
- you also want somebody who you will enjoy working with
- it’s important to separate “enjoy working with” from “enjoy hanging out with”
- don’t hire assholes, no matter how good they are
- if your team isn’t diverse, your team is worse than it needed to be
- accept that hiring takes a really long time and is really, really hard
Feel free to contact me for feedback or questions. Find my contacts on About page.